From the pages of the book entitled "Glimpses of the past in Kinross" and under the heading of 1884, it was stated simply: "In March, Kinross Golf Club was formed".
From the discovery of this information, it was established that from an organised meeting of some twenty enthusiasts, the Reverend Mr. David of St Paul's Church was elected as Kinross Golf Club's first captain. It was also revealed that 24 founder members paid an entry fee, with a combined subscription for the first year of £1.00, although it appeared at that time, they didn't have a course to play on. Further extracts from the record revealed that the stretch of land known as the Kirkgate lying alongside Loch Leven was offered by the then resident of Kinross House, Sir Basil Montgomery for the development and use as a golf course.
Tom Morris of St. Andrew, a well-respected Open Champion of the 1860's was commissioned to design the 6 holes of golf course that the acreage allowed. The club paid the sum of £3 3s 8d for Tom Morris' services which even in those days must have been good value for money. Whilst on the subject of matters financial, it was recorded the the Club purchased a lawnmower and a roller at a combined cost of £8 7 9d and these were used by a Mr. Duncan who was employed by the club as a greenkeeper.
There was no record of Mr. Duncan's remuneration, but records show that this golf course was open only from March until October each year and Sunday golf prohibited.
Day tickets to play the course could be purchased for 1 shilling and a weekly ticket cost 5 shillings.
Even today, over 100 years later there is still evidence from the outline of some of the now filled in bunkers on the Kirkgate ground that a golf course did exist.
It was in 1910 that Mr. Porteous of Turfhills provided an area of land for development into a full 9 hole golf course, measuring 2,670 yards and playing to a par 34 shots on a golfer's good day. Golf of all kinds whether good or bad or indifferent was undoubtedly played on this course, and in this respect it seems little has changed in the last 100 years.
During the second world war this course was returned to agricultural land, and the Golf Club, whilst never fully disbanded, found itself back in the same position as that of some 55 years earlier, of having a Club, but with nowhere to play.
At the end of the war, Kinross Golf Club agreed terms for the lease of the 9 hole golf course, recognised as 'Beeches Park' and until then privately owned by the local 'Laird' of Kinross House and Kinross Estates.
Changes effected at intervals over the following 25 years or so to the course layout made no difference to the fact that it still remained only a 9 hole course. Then in 1972, further agreement was negotiated and settled between the Golf Club and Kinross Estates which was under the control of Sir David Montgomery, and a further 9 holes 'the back nine' were developed.
At the same period, a further 18 holes had been developed on land partially surrounding the existing course. History will show that the 'old' and 'new' courses were split to form 2 new 18-hole courses with some stunning views. The Kinross Estate Company decreed that these courses would be named 'The Red' and 'The Blue' and renamed again in 2007 to "The Bruce" and "The Montgomery".
Meanwhile the Clubhouse had risen from a hut, thru' to a building built around 2 large portacabins, acquired from the then, under construction M90 motorway. 1990 saw the Clubhouse renovated with the lounge and dining room extended and the professional shop attached to the building.